Some time ago we were at the AWS Black Belt, one of the most important events for the community dedicated to the development of services of Amazon Web Services. One of the most recurring topics was the monitoring, security and good practices of the various AWS resources: AWS Lambda Extensions and in this post we will talk about it.
What is Lambda Extensions?
It's a new feature announced for AWS Lambda that allows greater control through monitoring, observability, security, and governance tools during the life cycle of your lambda functions. With this tool you can more quickly integrate various third-party tools or even your own.
So good so far, but then what does a Lambda Extensions look like? Visually, they are scripts distributed in Lambda Layers, which will run inside or outside of the lambda function and respond to each update through poll events.
We have two types of Lambda Extensions: internal and external.
- The internals will run in the same process as your lambda function.
- The external ones will be executed in a separate process, therefore the external ones can be written with a different language than your lambda function.
Here we suggest you consult the runtimes that support Lambda Extensions, in addition to validating the cost per consumption time of your extensions.
What are the benefits?
It is time to see what the benefits are if you implement this tool:
- There is no complexity in the installation, configuration and integration of third-party extensions
- The use of this tool does not apply an extra charge, although you should consider the CPU time and resources that its use implies
- Facilitate the development of robust and secure serverless applications
Additionally, the integration with Third Party AWS Partners they can extend the benefits and solutions to the monitoring, observability and security of our lambda functions.
Have you thought about the other additional advantages that Lambda Extensions can bring to your company? We are hearing more and more solutions to Serverless technologies, and Lambda is never far behind
What are you waiting for to join the Serverless and Lambda world? On Codster we are waiting for you!